Everton The Game of My Life Gary Ablett - My story - Book
GARY ABLETT was always a fighter.
As a football-mad kid growing up on Merseyside he
dreamed of pulling on the famous red shirt of
Liverpool Football Club. His determination to succeed
made his dream came true – but the real battle had
only just begun.
Ablett faced a struggle to find his voice in a
powerful dressing room and keep his place in a
star-studded team full of Anfield legends.
Despite winning a league title in 1988 and the FA
Cup on an emotional day in 1989, he fell out of favour
when Graeme Souness arrived at the club and he
made the controversial move across Stanley Park.
Nobody gave Ablett and his Everton team-mates a
hope when they lined up against Alex Ferguson’s
title-winning Manchester United side in the FA Cup
Final in May, 1995.
But the Blues famously overturned the odds and
Ablett made history as the only player to have won
the famous trophy with both Merseyside teams.
After a succession of injuries effectively ended his
career, he landed an Academy coaching role with
Everton before he crossed the Park again to become
a member of Rafael Benitez’s backroom team.
Ablett later tried his hand at management but little
did he know, the biggest game of his life still lay ahead
When he was confined to his bed for a week while
coaching with Roy Keane’s Ipswich, he thought he was
just suffering from a bad virus. The truth was much
worse. Ablett was suffering with an aggressive form of
He was devastated but just as he had always done,
he fought back – although this time it wasn’t just the
result of a football match that was at stake. It was life itself.
UK only (excludes Northern Ireland)
- - Orders over £75 UK Standard Delivery - (3-5 working days) - FREE
- - UK Standard Delivery - (3-5 working days) - £4.95
- - UK Express Delivery - (1 working day) - £6.95
More delivery information
- - You may return any item within 14 days in the original condition for a full refund of the price you paid for the item
- - Once a name or number has been printed on a shirt we will not offer a refund or exchange unless the shirt is faulty. The same applies if a player leaves the club or changes his squad number during his time at the club
More returns information